Thursday, July 7, 2016

Miniseries Review- Doctor Thorne


After reading the book last year, I was excited to find out that a miniseries adaptation was soon to come out. So having now watched it, I'll be reviewing it for the 2016 Period Drama Film Challenge.
Synopsis from IMDB: The life of penniless Mary Thorne, who grows up with her Uncle, Dr Thorne, and her relationship with the family at nearby Greshamsbury Park estate.
The story of Doctor Thorne is no Pride and Prejudice so one can't expect a Pride and Prejudice when they watch the miniseries. However, you can sit down and enjoy a charming period drama. The story is uncomplicated. Humor, love, wealth, social status and a little mystery.
The plot was somewhat simplified from the book and I did feel like the miniseries could have used an extra episode but overall I thought it was laid out well. The casting was lovely and I enjoyed all of the performances. The were only a couple cast members with which I was familiar. One was Tom Hollander who plays Doctor Thorne. I knew him from the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice where he plays Mr. Collins. The other was Janine Duvitski who plays Lady Scatcherd. I knew her from Little Dorrit where she plays Mrs. Meagles. The costumes were beautiful though the flowers in the hair were a little different then to what I was accustomed. The scenery was gorgeous as well.
Here are a few shots from the film to illustrate its beauty.

I loved Tom Hollander as Doctor Thorne. He put a lot of depth into
the character and showed his thoughtfulness and kindness beautifully 

One of my favorite dresses and while I wasn't
a fan of the bonnet at first I've grown to love it.

Some of the beautiful scenery from the film. 

A sample of the flowers in the hair. I felt so bad for Augusta! 
More flowers in the hair. 

Another favorite dress. 

Overall this was a delightful film and if you love period dramas be sure to add this to your list.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this one a lot, although I agree, the flowers in the hair was a bit much. What a crazy fashion statement!

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...