Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Book (Play) Review- A Midsummer Night's Dream

A Midsummer Night's DreamFor the Mount TBR challenge, Shelf Love challenge, the Audiobook challenge and the Classics Club I read (aka listened to) William Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Synopsis from Goodreads: Shakespeare's intertwined love polygons begin to get complicated from the start--Demetrius and Lysander both want Hermia but she only has eyes for Lysander. Bad news is, Hermia's father wants Demetrius for a son-in-law. On the outside is Helena, whose unreturned love burns hot for Demetrius. Hermia and Lysander plan to flee from the city under cover of darkness but are pursued by an enraged Demetrius (who is himself pursued by an enraptured Helena). In the forest, unbeknownst to the mortals, Oberon and Titania (King and Queen of the faeries) are having a spat over a servant boy. The plot twists up when Oberon's head mischief-maker, Puck, runs loose with a flower which causes people to fall in love with the first thing they see upon waking. Throw in a group of labourers preparing a play for the Duke's wedding (one of whom is given a donkey's head and Titania for a lover by Puck) and the complications become fantastically funny.
Like most all of Shakespeare's plays, I was pretty familiar with the storyline of A Midsummer Night's Dream. However I had not yet read the actual play. A Midsummer Nights' Dream is a comedy and I did find it quite humorous. I'd love to see a film version if to see how it plays out on screen. It's also a romance. The romantic stuff was hilariously over the top but yet enjoyable. Actually I found the play funnier than I thought I would. It was almost like a period drama with all of the misunderstandings and people falling in love with the wrong people!
Overall I would recommend it for a fun and light read.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. If you're looking for a film version you could try the BBC's 'Shakespeare re-told' - they're modern updates of the plays, not with the original language or anything but the Midsummer Night's dream one sticks pretty close to the plot :) The 'Much Ado' is my favourite though!

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...