Friday, February 12, 2016

Book Review- Son

SonFor the Audiobook challenge, Finishing the Series challenge and Library Reading challenge I read (listened to) Lois Lowry's final novel in The Giver Quartet: Son.
Synopsis from Goodreads: When the young girl washed up on their shore, no one knew she had been a Vessel. That she had carried a Product. That it had been carved from her belly. Stolen. Claire had had a son. She was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible. When he was taken from their community, she knew she had to follow. And so her journey began.But here in this wind-battered village Claire is welcomed as one of their own. In the security of her new home, she is free and loved. She grows stronger. As tempted as she is by the warmth of more human kindness than she has ever known, she cannot stay. Her son is out there; a young boy by now. Claire will stop at nothing to find her child . . . even if it means trading her own life. 
I LOVED this book. In fact I think it was my favorite of the Quartet. I also think it gave me a deeper appreciation for The Giver and I felt like I learned more about that book from Son. Additionally I felt much more was learned about the world that The Giver created, which has fascinating. It was a perfect conclusion to the series.
My favorite part of the book was definitely Claire (or Water Claire.... I like the sound of that a lot). She's a character, like Jonas in The Giver, that you relate to and care about. Her determination to find her son was so inspiring and heartbreaking. I felt like this was the saddest of all the books. I put myself in her shoes and I couldn't imagine how she felt. The journey she goes through is incredible. I loved the time she spent with Einar training to climb the cliff.
I really enjoyed that Lowry went back and created a back store for Gabrielle, the baby from The Giver. It was such an intriguing idea and worked so well. While the story was in a sense about Gabrielle, It was essentially really about Claire... but then again it was really about them both, about their relationship.
Another thing I liked was that Jonas and Kira got together and had started a family. That's such a perfect conclusion for those two characters.
My one real gripe with the book was that it didn't say whether or not Einar and Claire got together and they NEEDED to get together. I actually shouted NO at the audiobook at the line "They would never see each other again." I know that main point of the book was the relationship between Claire and her son and her journey to be reuinted with him but after she found Gabrielle I think they should have gone back to be with Einar. Just saying.
Overall I really enjoyed this book (obviously) and if you liked The Giver definitely finish the series!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...