Friday, January 29, 2016

Book Review- Farmer Giles of Ham

Farmer Giles of Ham For the library reading challenge I read J.R.R. Tolkien's children's story Farmer Giles of Ham.
Synopsis from Goodreads: Farmer Giles of Ham is a light-hearted satire for readers of all ages that tells the tale of a reluctant hero who must save his village from a dragon. It is a small gem of a tale that grows more delightful with each rereading.
I wasn't intending at all to read Farmer Giles of Ham this year but I saw it at the library and it was Tolkien so I had to grab it. It's such a delightful little tale and one that Tolkien originally told as a story to his children. This version that I read included the original way Tolkien told the story and then his fleshed out version that became the book so it was fascinating to see how the story evolved. It's very clever and fun and Farmer Giles made me think of a hobbit, which is always a winner with me. Overall I enjoyed this light little tale. While Tolkien wrote incredible epics he also wrote delightful children's stories and that is evidenced by Farmer Giles of Ham.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read that one yet, but it sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite fun and essential for all Tolkien lovers!

      Delete
  2. Great, hilarious story. One of my favorites along with Smith of Wootton Major.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I haven't read that one! I'll have to add that to my list! :)

      Delete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...