Thursday, June 5, 2014

Book Review- Agnes Grey

I was not excited about reading this book but as I got it for my Classics Club spin I decided to buckle down and tackle it. Surprisingly it was actually not that bad, however, while reading it and looking back, I definitely felt like it was a story I had heard before... it just seemed cliche. However, there were plenty of good points about the book.
Agnes Grey tells the story of a young governess named (you guessed it) Agnes Grey as she carries out her duties staying true to her virtues. She has two different positions throughout the book, both hard. The last one she sticks with for a long time as she teaches two young women; one who is a perpetual liar and the other a determined flirt. Along the way she falls in love with a parson.
I appreciated that Agnes stayed true to what she believed and wasn't wavered by the many bad influences around her. The story was told rather journal like so you saw everything through her eyes and felt like you knew her very well. Her pupil that was a flirt never failed to annoy me. She reminded me a lot of Cynthia from Wives and Daughters. I felt like though she got at least somewhat of what she deserved in the end.
All in all, while it did seem like a story told many times before, it was enjoyable and I would recommend it to those who enjoy Jane Austen novels or Jane Eyre. I haven't read any of the other Bronte sisters' books so I don't know how similar it is to them but I am a little more amicable to the idea of reading them after having read this.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...