Tuesday, June 25, 2013

On an Audiobook Kick

It all began when at work I was given the job of cleaning all of the DVDs. That's a lot of DVDs people! So I just sat there and put DVDs in the little machine and waited, and waited, and then when it was done took it out and put and put a new one in, and waited, and waited, and... well you get the drift. There was a lot of dead time. My brilliant brain eventually turned on and realized that I had about four audiobook apps that I had downloaded when I first got my iPhone but never had used. It was time. So I started listening to Pride and Prejudice, because one can never get enough exposure to it (unless of course it is the 2005 movie version, and then even once is too much). It was a Librivox production, which has a bunch of free audiobooks, and really pretty well done. So I had so much fun with that and so many more DVDs that needed to be cleaned that after I was done with it I just kept right on going and next listened to Robert Lousis Stevensons's The Black Arrow, which I had never read but was on my reading list. I council you to not listen to an audiobook of something you've never read or else you will just be wishing it to go faster because YOU JUST WANT TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS!!!! I ended up reading the second half myself because I could read it so much faster than I could listen to it.  It was really excellent by the way and I encourage all to read it.  Then I listened to Much Ado About Nothing, which wasn't quite as well done as the other two and now I am listening to The Taming of the Shrew. Besides listening to them while I'm at work, I've also started listening to them while I'm working out, keeps me going.
I have listened to some audiobooks in the past, most namely some of Focus on the Family's radio dramas, which are AMAZING!!! It's just now though that I am really getting into them and I can't wait to listen to more.
I have already made the executive decision that these audiobooks WILL count toward my reading goal for the month. That's all there is to that.
Is anyone else an audiobook fan? What's your experience with them? Any favorites? Comment below!

Lois Johnson, avid writer, tea drinker, and reader but first and foremost, avid Christian.

4 comments:

  1. I love audiobooks!!I used to listen to them all the time while my mom was working and I was finished with school. I listened to assorted books from the library, but my cousins introduced me to the Freddy the Pig series and I especially enjoyed those. I also love Focus on the Family radio dramas and I'm a huge fan of Adventures in Odyssey. Listening to audiobooks worked great for me because I could do a project or play while listening. What are the names of the audiobook apps that you used? Do you recommend a certain one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would have survived high school without Librivox! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have three audiobook apps and they are all just called "audiobooks". Sorry I can't really be much more helpful. The icon for one is a book with earphones, and the icon for another looks like a book with eyes (lol).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, thanks! I'll have to take a look and see what I can find. :)

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...